Reflecting on your Semester 1 Teaching
8 June 2022
Semester 1 teaching has come to an end and hopefully, you can now breathe. It is also the perfect time to reflect on your teaching before you get busy marking exams or planning for your S2 teaching.
Just spend 5-10 mins to think through the following points.
Start with your own open and honest thoughts and later you can include other feedback such as peer or course evaluations. For instance, during S1:
- What have you learned about your teaching and your students?
- Were some of your pre-semester assumptions about your teaching and your students confirmed or challenged?
- What additional skills have you developed?
- What knowledge have you gained?
It is now that you can begin to identify your strengths and areas you feel you need to improve as you begin to think about your teaching in S2 and beyond. Ask yourself:
- How can I build more of my teaching strengths into my course design?
- How research-informed was my teaching?
- What areas of course design do I need to improve on?
- For what areas of my teaching should I seek support?
- What successes and accomplishments can I share with others?