Reflecting on your Semester 2 Teaching
1 November 2023
Now that Semester 2 teaching has come to an end hopefully you have a bit of breathing space. This is a great time to reflect on your teaching before you get busy marking exams or planning for summer school teaching.
Take 5-10 mins to think through the following points.
Start with your own open and honest thoughts and later you can include other feedback such as peer or course evaluations. For instance, during Semester 2:
- What have you learned about your teaching and your students?
- Were some of your pre-semester assumptions about your teaching and your students confirmed or challenged?
- What additional skills have you developed?
- What knowledge have you gained?
Now you can begin to identify your strengths and areas you feel you need to improve prior to your next teaching. Ask yourself:
- How can I build more of my teaching strengths into my course design?
- How research-informed was my teaching?
- What areas of course design do I need to improve on?
- For what areas of my teaching should I seek support?
- What successes and accomplishments can I share with others?
Consider sharing your reflection with a colleague and discussing ideas.