The following may provide access to images that do not require permission to reuse and/or have a Creative Commons or other copyright licence:
- Animal Diversity Web
University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology. Includes Creative Commons licences but need to check copyright conditions of use for each image.
Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (US). Open to the public but anyone using the images needs to credit USDA APHIS and the photographer (if known), to make it clear that the image has open domain status. Includes search function.
- Beef and Lamb NZ photo library
Free, high-resolution photos for media and public use.
Photographs and text in Bugblog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Creative Commons Search
Offers convenient access to search services provided by other independent organizations e.g. Flickr, Google Images, Open Clip Art Library, Pixabay. Do not assume that the results displayed in this search portal are under a Creative Commons license. You should always verify that the work is actually under a Creative Commons license by following the link.
- David Hollander’s (University Photographer) Photographic Collections (Internal access via Staff Hub):
Files are rotated every six months so contact David Hollander if you require something that you can’t find here as more files available but not shown.
Use the filters to refine search, e.g. Share, modify. You can verify licences by clicking on images.
- Encyclopedia of Life
via Creative Commons collection
- Lincoln University Living Heritage Archive
An archive of ‘free’ photos, by creatives for creatives
- NatureWatch New Zealand
Includes photographs with Creative Commons License, check each photograph to establish attribution and license.
- Open Professionals Education Network
Includes photo/image, video and audio/music search options.
- Photos Public Domain
CC0, searchable images for any purpose.
- Public Domain Images
CC0, searchable images that are free to download, edit, share, copy and distribute.
CC0, searchable images that are free to download, and use without attribution.
Allows you to browse or search through content under each type of Creative Commons license.
- Wikimedia Commons
Click on the image to view the license.
All images used should be used with attribution, for example:
- Attribution for images from internet should ideally include: Organisation/Author, Year, URL e.g. Worksafe New Zealand, 2003. http://www.saferfarms.org.nz/why-be-safe/
- Student work used within course books needs to have permission to use and should state: “used with authors permission”
- Image from David Hollander photographic collection:
David Hollander, 2014.
- Image taken from Wikipedia commons:
Image by Simon Carey, 2012, licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic licence